Monday, September 22, 2008

The truth in fear...

A close friend of mine recently confided in me about her fear of falling in love...

In the past year, I have heard this same "sad" story from numerous people. Sometimes on the receiving end, sometimes as just the listening friend... but I've yet to be the person telling this tale about myself. This doesn't make me any better or worse... just different I suppose.

I've come to a point where I've just become numb every time I hear it... "I've been hurt before... I don't want to be hurt again... It's not worth it..." If it's truly not worth it, why obsess over it? And if it was truly love that caused the angst in the first place... why is all the love forgotten and only the pain remains in our memories keeping us from ever wanting to try again?

Or is the whole story just bull shit? If we were truly honest with ourselves or the "other person", we might just be able to say, "You're not worth it. You're not worth the risk. You're not worth the effort. You're not worth the time. You're not worth the pain. You're not worth the tears. You're not worth the aches. You're not worth the ups and downs. You're not worth the bumps and bruises. You're just not... the one." It's inevitable that in any relationship there are going to be bad times along with the good. If they were worth it... wouldn't there be more risk in losing them then in potential heartache?

If we bought into the fairytale at all, wouldn't it be fair to say that if the person truly was the one... they wouldn't make you have any doubts? It would be easy to make that decision to jump blindly into another roller coaster of emotions, hands brushing the open sky, no need to brace yourself... excitement building as you rise to the top only to feel your stomach drop when you look over to the short ride down into another lull of nauseating euphoria.

Nauseating euphoria lol... Isn't it true when you love someone... even the worst of days with them can feel better than the best of days without them... and in the end, you can still say... it's all worth it.

No comments: